Saturday 13 December 2014

'Tis the season for wine traditions


I don't know about you, but there are certain little things that signal the start of the festive period chez Tom. For me, it's the first time I hear a Christmas song on the car radio, the initial few cards that arrive in the early December post, and the sights of twinkling tinsel and fairy lights emanating from the front rooms of households in the street. In the last few years however, a new tradition has joined the repertoire of pre-yuletide indicators: that of the big Christmas supermarket wine shop!

Last year, both Tesco and Marks & Spencer shared the honour of being my Christmas supermarkets of choice, with Tesco's delightful Cambucha Carménère 2011 and M&S' intriguing Rincón del Sol Bonarda-Shiraz 2012 grabbing the headlines. However, my 2014 star supermarket for wine has - by some margin - been Sainsbury's, and considering their very generous 25% off any 6 bottles offer and their consistently fabulous own brand wines, it seemed fitting that this year's supermarket foray would be to the UK's third largest grocer.

Feeling festively jolly and adventurous, I selected what I thought was a good mix of styles, regions and grapes. Aside from my mum's customary reserve port, my choices were:
  • Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Verdicchio Classico 2013
  • Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Chilean Pinot Noir 2012
  • Sainsbury's Winemaker's Selection Riesling 2013
  • Kanonkop Kadette 2012 
…as well as a nice little Côte de Beaune burgundy (Bouchard Aîné & Fils Côte de Beaune Villages "Les Abbesses" 2010) which I will cellar until Christmas 2015/16.

I fully expect several more bottles to join this selection, but overall I'm happy with my classic Old World whites and my inviting New World reds. Watch this space for reports on my success or otherwise! In the meantime, if you have any Christmas wine rituals or you've made your festive selections from other UK retailers, please feel free to comment and share.





No comments:

Post a Comment