Wednesday 30 March 2016

Aldi Wine Club: Week 1

Recently I was presented with the opportunity to take part in Aldi's Wine Club; an online panel composed of enthusiastic wine lovers who would get the opportunity to taste and enjoy six of the supermarket's current range of wines in exchange for reviews. I was delighted to accept the invitation, and below you'll find the first of my three instalments of the Aldi Wine Club reviews. Thanks to Aldi for providing me with the opportunity. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vignobles Roussellet Malbec, NV, Vin de France


"Juicy, Youthful, Food-Friendly"

Although humble in origin (being a mere 'Vin de France' and without a vintage), this Roussellet Malbec certainly punches above its weight. The wine is a pale-ish, youthful purple, with a nose of dark fruits, violets and kirsch, with a slight savoury edge developing over time. On the palate, the wine is mid to full-bodied, although soft and plush: the acidity and tannins are well balanced. More blackcurrants, blueberries and black cherries are evident on the palate, which gives the impression of juiciness and vibrancy. On the whole, a nice example of the Malbec grape which will partner well with all manner of red meat dishes, as well as living quite comfortably being drunk on its own.


Kooliburra Reserva Rosé, NV, South Eastern Australia


"Not For Me!"

Let me start this review by saying I'm not the world's greatest rosé fan, and when I do drink pink I much prefer the drier, more restrained French styles. In hindsight then, it's unsurprising that I didn't get on so well with the Kooliburra Reserve, although that's not to say that everyone will share my thoughts. A deep watermelon reddy-pink colour, the wine has a sweet nose of confected strawberry and blackcurrant lozenge. The palate reflects these sweet fruits, with strawberry, cranberry and a slight herbal strawberry leaf character present. For me, the wine - like its finish - falls a little short, although it would probably show better with fruit-based desserts. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tom
    I've drunk the Malbec Many times, always delivers especially for the price.
    The Rosé again for me not my thing but I thought it was ok and drinkable for this particular sweeter style and again for not a lot of money.
    I have received my next two Aldi wines, Chardonnay & Tempranillo looking forward to hearing what you think as well.

    All the Best
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog is so nice to me. I will keep on coming here again and again. Visit my link as well.. Wine Online

    ReplyDelete