Tuesday 7 April 2015

Brancott Estate Terroir Series review - Tesco Wine

Below is my entry for the Brancott Estate Terroir Series taste panel run recently by Tesco Wine, which involved creating a short video to review two of the New Zealand producer's premium wines: the Sauvignon Blanc 2013 and Pinot Noir 2013. I've also included more detailed tasting notes underneath. Enjoy!


Pinot Noir: A mid-intensity 'claret' violet-rouge: one shade up from rosé. The nose is a little stunted, but blackcurrant, creamy cranberry and violey aromas are present. Fresh palate with crunchy cranberries and a slight oakiness. Tangy acidity, moderate tannins, medium-bodied. A fruity and eager wine, which would probably benefit from time in the bottle.

Sauvignon Blanc: An absolutely stonking Kiwi Sauvignon from a very promising 2013 vintage. Colour is virtually transparent with a lemony tinge, with an aromatic nose of mown grass, green bell pepper, fresh herbs and green apple. On the palate are assertive notes of tangy apple, followed by more herbs and green pepper on the mid-palate. Finish is precise, lengthy and minerally. Top marks - snap this one up while you can.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one Tom,
    Very professional, not sure anyone would want to see me on video, I'll stick to writing about wine.
    Big fan of Brancott wines, these sound like two nice bottles especially the Sauvignon Blanc. How does it compare to their other SB's and is it worth the extra few pounds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dave,

    Thanks for the comments! I personally wouldn't mind watching you pass on your knowledge via video blog ;-) Yes, I like Brancott too, I think they're a good producer and you can always bank on getting good quality wine at whatever price level you opt for. Speaking personally though, I'd definitely shell out the extra for the Terroir Series - the SB in particular is tremendous and I think the finish is still lingering on my palate. I've also got another bottle of the Pinot to lay down for a few years to see how it evolves, so that should be interesting.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete